I know it has been awhile, but I made the best Enchiladas tonight. Lately I have not been liking my food….the reason….I am following the recipes :(. I hate it when I do that. So the other day while looking through my recipe books, I ran into a recipe for easy enchiladas. I was instantly hungry because why wouldn’t someone who is lactose intolerant want enchiladas. As I am reading this recipe though I realize a few things….
1. It calls for Chicken sausage…..
2. There is no enchilada sauce…
These are big “not going to happens” in my book so here is what I came up with.
2 lbs Ground beef (we used deer meat) It has less fat and well my husband is awesome and hunts!
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 large tomatoes chopped
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can enchilada sauce ( i use a red medium sauce)
10-12 flour tortillas
1 year aged sharp cheddar cheese (the longer the cheese ages the less lactose it has in it) I found this in the deli
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 glass pan with cooking spray
2. Brown your meat in a large skillet (i use cast iron). While your meat is browning add your red bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes. When your meat is brown and your veggies are soft, add your chili powder and cumin. Cook for one minute making sure the seasonings get cooked in thoroughly. Stir in your Black beans and Pinto beans. Mix well continuing to cook. Add your enchilada sauce and mix well.
3. Place your tortillas one at a time in your glass pan, filling one, rolling it and facing the seam side down. Then add another and once it is rolled push it up against the next one so they do not unroll on you. Do this until your pan is full, mine fit 11. With all of the left over stuff in the pan spoon it over the top of your enchiladas including the juice. Shred your cheese on top as much or as little as you like.
4. Bake your enchiladas until the cheese is melted.
I know your asking what all I changed.
I changed the meat from chicken sausage to ground beef (deer meat).
It called for stewed tomatoes I used garden fresh.
It called for fat free cheese…..Not even going to explain that one haha.
I added enchilada sauce to the recipe…they just can’t be enchiladas if there is no sauce….sorry.
As always enjoy.
So many things I usually would not have added like the beans but was really good.