Ok here we go this one is going to be an overload but if you are like me and miss being able to eat cheesecake without getting sick I have found the trick.
First of all do you remember those wonderful drops I told you about that take the lactose out of milk, you are going to need those and Mesophilic culture.
Buy 4 quarts of Heavy whipping cream and put the drops in them. It will take 24 hours for the lactose to be removed from the cream. Once your 24 hours is over pour all of the cream into a glass container (I had to use two). Each quart of cream needs 1/8 tsp of the culture. So I put 1/4th tsp in each of my two containers and lightly covered them…they have to be able to breathe so do NOT seal these containers. From there it sits for 12 to 14 hours or until it is a yogurt consistency.
From there you pour your cream which will be thick now into cheese cloth. I took a large stock pot and put a strainer on top of it then put my cheese cloth in the strainer. This will slowly drip out for the next 8-12 hours. The longer it drips the thicker it is. DO NOT put this in the fridge at any time up to this point. If it goes in the fridge the culture stops working. After it has drained if you want to you can add sea salt to taste. This will also get more of the liquid out of your cream cheese so if you add salt let it drain a little while longer. Once you are ready scrape the cream cheese out of the cheese cloth and place it in the fridge. Everything that I had read said that you would get about a cup of cream cheese from a quart of heavy whipping cream…..I got 8 cups from 4 quarts! Here is where I found the recipe for the cream cheese.
If you want to, with the drippings you can throw it in a mixer and make cultured butter. I have a “how to make butter” recipe on here that will tell you how to do it but basically, I threw all the drippings into my kitchenaid mixer and covered it with a towel. Mix on medium and the butter will separate from the butter milk. When you take the butter out squeeze as much of the whey out of it as possible. The more you get out the longer it will last. And the excess after the butter is butter milk. It makes wonderful buttermilk pancakes :).
Back to our cheesecake.
Now I will include the cheesecake recipe I used by sharing the site I got it from. This recipe also calls for sour cream so you will need to purchase 8 oz. sour cream and put your drops in that also and allow it 24 hours to get rid of all that lactose that likes to reek havoc on our stomachs. Here is the website with the recipe and instructions on what to do.
Now at this point you have made your own cream cheese (lactose free) and taken all the lactose out of your sour cream. This is what makes your cheesecake lactose free. Remember also that a cheesecake has to have time to set. Mine set for 24 hours in the fridge. You will also have a jello consistency when it is done until it sets in the fridge don’t panic when it wobbles! Here is what I ended up with.
This cheesecake is amazing! I ate a very large slice and enjoyed every bit of it. The thing is, when you go years without being able to eat something and all of a sudden you figure out how to do it….yep it’s worth all the extra effort and time of making it yourself. As always enjoy. I am by no means an expert I am trying things to see if we can enjoy lactose foods again but if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. 🙂
I know this isn’t one that most of you will get excited over but I’m telling you this one is good. It is not a dry chunk of meat, it is juicy, has plenty of flavor and my secret topping. 🙂 First the recipe,
2 pounds ground beef
3 tbs minced dehydrated onlons
1 cup progresso bread crumbs
1 cup ketchup
1/8 cup honey
Mix it all together if it looks too wet you can add another 1/8 cup bread crumbs
Bake this at 350 for 30 minutes in a muffin pan…yep thats right dont use the loaf pan it will take longer and get dried out. Also this is great for serving size. Don’t for get to spray your pan with pam or something like it so it doesn’t stick.
Take the muffin pan out of the over after 30 min. mix together 1/2 cup ketchup and 1/8 cup honey. spread some on top of each mini loaf. Turn you oven to Broil and put back in for 5-10 minutes until topping looks bubbly. When you take it out of the muffin pan i have found that a large spoon does the best with out tearing the loaf up.
This is juicy and sweet and people who hate meatloaf will fall in love with it 🙂
I found the best loaf bread recipe today. It is called County white bread and I found it in my Bread machine book. I have a few problems with my bread machine. I feel like the crust on the bread is always so hard it could break my teeth…so I use the dough cycle and let it rise in the pans from there and cook it in the oven. The problem with this the information is not in the book to cook it this way….oh well here is what I did.
1 2/3 cups water
1 1/2 tbl olive oil
1 1/2 tbl sugar
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbl instant potato flakes
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
2 tsp salt
3 tsp yeast
pour all of these into your bread machine pan in the order listed and place in your bread machine turning it on to the dough setting.
When your bread machine turns off pull the dough out of the pan it will be sticky so make sure you have flour ready on your hands and the surface you are putting the dough on. You can cut this into two loaves or leave it as one.My girls like smaller sandwiches to take to school so I do two. Spray your glass loaf pans, shape the dough into a smooth loaf and place in the pans. Put in a warm place and let rise 60-90 minutes. From there preheat your oven to 355 and bake 30 minutes turning half way through.
Enjoy, this recipe makes your bread very moist, soft and slightly flaky with a barely there crust.
Ok for starters who doesn’t love homemade ice cream 🙂 or just ice cream in general. The problem for us First Lactose free Ice cream is expensive for so little. Second It is not lactose free there is still 1 percent lactose in it and sometimes that little bit will make a difference. After trying hard to make ice cream and failing, we found a recipe that works. Now i say fail because when it froze it was hard as a rock or just wasn’t what we were going for. My mom and I put our heads together and I think she was the one who finally found the perfect recipe. Now I know I keep talking about the lactase drops on Amazon but they work and they help with anything liquid so far. So I buy my gallon of milk and put these in it and also Heavy whipping cream with drops in it. 24 hours later I am ready to make my ice cream. I also have a cheap (35.00) ice cream maker also ordered from Amazon (i swear they aren’t paying me).
2 cups milk (with drops)
2 cups heavy whipping cream (with drops)
1/2 cup sweet cream coffee creamer
a pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
Mix these together until sugar is melted and place in your fridge for 30 min to get it as cold as possible before making your ice cream.
After 30 min pour into your ice cream maker and turn it on for 32 to 34 minutes. Place in a freezer safe container and enjoy 🙂 So good so easy and lactose free.
This is another blog about saving money. There are so many things we do throughout our day that we think we have to do and when you find out you don’t it is a huge surprise! So here are little things that I have picked up on in the last 8 years after having kids. I wish these things would have hit me earlier… Here goes.
1. Do you hate leftovers? Every week trying to eat what you have left over from those amazing dinners? First DUH moment right here…”have you ever tried freezing them” someone smarter than me said once. As I stood there with a look of shock and ahhhh it was obvious i didn’t realize you could freeze these things instead of trying to eat them night after night and hating each meal more. So what do we do now? That’s the big question right. Now if there is enough of something for another entire meal into the freezer it goes. Lasagna is a good one for this, there is always so much left over and I swear it is always half of what I made. So now I use two 9×9 instead of a 9×13 and one goes into the freezer after I cook it and let it cool. Other things are not so easy but if there is enough for another meal put it in the freezer….it wont sit in your fridge and go bad. You just have to eat it before freezer burn catches it. 🙂
2. How did I just realize that mayonnaise was so easy to make. It took me less that 5 minutes to make it and I spend at least 4 dollars a month on one jar. Whats worse is that all of the ingredients are just sitting in my pantry just begging to be turned into SOMETHING. Was there a class on this in High school and I missed it that day? I mean where was I during the day they taught people some things a way cheaper to make and are usually better?
3. You can make your own cleaners. Again here I go just throwing money at cleaners when I could make multiple cleaners and soaps with things that are already in my house or way cheap to buy. Is it just because Mr. Clean was so Awesome that we just decided to pay for instead of making it? Guess what Vinegar and oranges do an excellent job. And that horrible stainless steel cleaner that is so greasy….yep you can make one yourself that isn’t greasy. Oh what a sad day this was when I realized so many things at once.
4. I am a fan of this one really. Apps are helpful. I recently learned about checkout 51. This is an app that you download to your phone and it will shown you extra coupons that you can redeem on your phone. You just buy your regular groceries and if any of the items are on your receipt, you scan it with the app and they credit the coupon to your account. When you reach 20 dollars they send you a check! How can you go wrong. They usually have things like milk, eggs, bread, cereal and many other things. It updates every week or so giving you different options.
5. Consignment stores!! I have an excellent consignment store right around the corner from my house. The clothes there are amazing. I can go in and find 8 slim for my daughter for 5 dollars! I can’t even get them at that price at Wal-Mart or Goodwill. I also sell clothes from my girls there and just got my first check from them for 23.00. That money does not go towards groceries or spend money that money goes in the girls savings accounts. Look at that every little bit goes a long way.
I am sure that there are going to be many other DUH moments that I experience through life but it is a little upsetting when you realize you have been wasting money. On my blog you will find some of the recipes i have mentioned above also. So here you go…if you haven’t learned these things congratulations on your new DUH moment 🙂 Enjoy
For years I have gone to Bass Pro Shop and spent 9 dollars on a 16 oz jar for these spicy pickled garlic’s. I absolutely love them and those of you who have had my Jambalaya know that they are what make it so Yummy. I also use these in Fajita’s, spaghetti and all kinds of food. They are also good stuffed into a whole chicken it makes such a wonderful flavor. You can also use the Olive oil when cooking so you are using every bit of this and nothing goes to waste. Here is the Pinterst post on it.
What you need
Peeled garlic the recipe calls for 12 but because I am using them and not just the oil I did about 40.
2 cups extra virgin olive oil
Lemon zest ( I used the lemon juice you can buy in a bottle)
Red pepper flakes 2 pinches (I also used more because of the recipes I use this in)
and a pinch of salt.
Get the oil and the garlic on a low simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and place the other items in the oil and let cool for an hour or two while all of the seasonings mingle.
Once they are cool place them in a jar and put them in the refrigerator.
Like I said before I used these in everything and this cost me 3 dollars to make instead of 10! If you are using it in a whole chicken shove them in there whole and when you bake it or grill it the flavors with just go all through the chicken. If you are doing other dishes I recommend slicing them before you put them in your meal. As always enjoy!
Good morning all,
Yesterday was Fajita day 🙂 A year ago I was working at a daycare and did not get home till 6 pm so I was doing a lot of crockpot meals When I ran out of recipes I used my brain. I made the best crockpot meal one night and have continued making it because it was so easy, fast and YUMMY.
What you need
- Fajita meat
- Fajita seasoning
- 2 Bell peppers ( I use green because its cheaper but the colors look better with yellow and red).
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cheap beer
Slice your fajita meat into thin strips and throw it into the crockpot, pour the beer over it, add sliced bell pepper and sliced onion then sprinkle the seasoning on top of the mixture.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. The meat will be so tender and have so much flavor you will be amazed. Once it is done drain off the excess juices and put into tortillas 🙂 ENJOY